It’s 2020 and I’m coming up on 3 years since I first pursued Functional Medicine as a patient.
The time certainly flies, but I will never forget that time in my life, because I never, ever want to go back to that.
Less than 3 years ago (crazy!), I was in the deep, dark trenches of a health crisis.
That was when the body I lived in every day felt like my enemy, not my ally.
I go into juicy detail in Part 1 and Part 2 about exactly what was going on with me at the time (so please read to fully understand), but I’ll briefly sum things up for you again, as a recap:
Body = Enemy.
I was covered in relentless itchy eczema, I essentially couldn’t digest anything, I had no energy, I couldn’t perform athletically anymore, I was foggy, anxiety-ridden and at that point I was quite beaten down by the countless unsuccessful attempts I made to resolve what was going on for years prior.
Now if you know me post Functional Medicine experience, this may be hard to imagine, but I assure you, it’s the truth. I even have pictures of my wicked itchy rashes in part 2.
So, I was a hot mess. No, just a mess.
I had spent a few years already pursuing both conventional and natural medicine approaches. No luck. Lots of time, money and effort spent. Hopes up, hopes down… beginning to ask myself questions like, “Am I just destined to suffer through this shitty existence for the remainder of my life?” And sure, I had a blessed life otherwise and I was grateful, but when your body feels like your enemy every day, it’s difficult to be positive and optimistic. When your arms and eyelids are so itchy day and night that you can’t help but scratch them until they bleed, and then every little thing you eat (healthy or otherwise) causes you to bloat up like a balloon, you tend to go to some dark places, even if you’re naturally a bright, positive person like me.
But there was this other side of me too, that just wouldn’t accept this as life. I wanted better.
Even with the dark thoughts and feelings of despair sometimes taking over, I still knew deep down that if I had once experienced excellent health, it was probable, no, it was possible I could get back there.
Why, if I could experience feeling good for so many years, should it be gone away forever? I knew in my heart that I needed to find a way to go deeper; that if I just got to the root of what was going on with me, I would be able to turn things around and begin to heal.
I’m not exactly sure how I came across Functional Medicine and Dr. Navaz Habib at that point, but I did. And even though I had spent so much money and time and energy already trying to resolve my issues, I felt like I had no choice but to invest, keep going and give it a shot.
I quickly dove into an approach to healing that made SO much sense to me, because it went like this:
- Receive HOPE and optimism of better health back
- Be acknowledged; be listened to compassionately and intently as a patient
- Have my detailed health history reviewed and current health status and symptoms evaluated and understood
- Do some epic lab testing that doctors don’t do, that includes pooping in a tray and sending it off to Georgia
- Get the results of the poop and pee tests and see, with science, not guessing, what the HECK is going on at the deepest levels
- Find out you probably have stealth infections, your liver sucks, you’re deficient in many nutrients and/or your bacterial microbiotic balance is completely f***ed (kidding, it’s different for each person)
- Have a healing plan constructed for you using the specific test findings as your guide, that addresses all aspects of health like nutrition, lifestyle, mindset, stress, movement and sleep
- Work TOGETHER in an encouraging environment to diligently follow the personalized plan
- Re-test to see how far you’ve come, and / or what else still needs attention
- See ACTUAL, LASTING results
This, my friends, is Functional Medicine, and for me it was a total game changer.
Here I stand (well, sit) 3 years later a very different person.
I digest the food I eat, my skin is amazing, I sleep well, I feel calm and clear most days, I have the ability to work out and play sports again, I can think without fog, and most importantly, I have the energy and drive to give my gifts to the world.
Which I realized along the way, just so happens to be… drumroll please…
Helping others in similar health ruts find the root cause of their health issues via Functional Medicine 🙂
And let’s just say, there are TOO MANY OF US in health ruts these days.
After my personal, life-changing experience, I literally had to get into the world of Functional Medicine, so in 2019 I officially became a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach.
And here’s the kicker people, guess who I’m working alongside now?
Dr. Navaz Habib, the guy who gave me the tools and support to get my health back.
Life is a trip.
And it’s certainly been a wild journey that continues.
But mannnnn, I wouldn’t give any of the struggles and pain and shitty feels up if that meant I wouldn’t get to exactly where I am now…
In a body that is my ally, not my enemy.
With so much knowledge and awareness and personal experience of how to achieve optimal health, and the knowing that we must take our health into our own hands in order to truly be well.
With the fierce drive to constantly make better choices for myself in order to live a long, healthful, vibrant life and to inspire others around me to do the same.
So, 3 years later, how am I now?
I’m fucking amazing, thank you, because I have my health, I know how to maintain it, I’ll never take it for granted and I now get to help others do the same.
Struggling to achieve the level of health you know you deserve? I’ve got you.
If you’re interested in working with me for functional nutrition guidance or health coaching, click here.
If you’re interested in working with Dr. Habib and myself to do functional testing and a full-on Functional Medicine program, click here.
She is here to preach what she practices and help you to prepare amazing whole food meals from scratch, grow your own organic food and optimize your lifestyle and environment to promote the most vibrant, glowing and energetic you.
Laura is currently based in Dundas, Ontario, Canada but works remotely with people from all over the world!
Latest posts by Laura Franklin, CNP, FMCHC (see all)
- Let’s Get Real: My Personal Health Journey (Part 3) - July 11, 2020
- IG: It’s happening… one of my fave vegetables is coming to life in the garden🤩🥦. Grew these baddies from tiny seeds started back in March.Have you seen brassica seeds? They’re like, sesame seed size but round. Tiny AF.Crazy that those wee balls of life can turn into something like this. Actually amazes me every time and never gets old. May be one of the reasons I love gardening so much.Anyway, these guys get bigger each day and I’m so stoked to eat them.Side note: please pray that the deer don’t get them before I do 😭I had an invader Wednesday night that ate all my green tomatoes, carrot tops, Swiss chard, a large head of romaine lettuce and my bean plants 😱. Stay safe little broccolis, you’re awesome - June 26, 2020
- IG: So I post a lot about gardening… I know. Butgrowing my own food is just one element of my decision to pursue lifelong health personally AND as a career.When my hands aren’t in the soil cultivating plant life, I’m on ZOOM calls with clients as a Holistic Nutritionist and Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach cultivating optimal health.I coach and guide my clients one-on-one towards renewed health and high performance using the fundamentals of Functional Medicine… a modality that is near and dear to my heart.I decided to specialize in Functional Medicine because a few years ago, I was a patient of Functional medicine myself. When I found myself in the throws of mystery chronic illness that could not be diagnosed or resolved via conventional medicine or other nutritional and natural therapies, I just knew there was something that was being missed.Upon pursuing Functional Medicine, which looks for the deepest root cause of what’s going on in the body individually, we immediately found the causes of my health challenges and were able to efficiently and appropriately steer me towards a path of renewed optimal health. Within 8 months, my life had completely changed and I was operating at a completely different level of vitality. Functional Medicine changed my life with the gift of renewed health from which I operate as a wellness leader today.So. If you, or someone you love could use help finding some answers to your chronic health issues, or just want to operate at an even higher level of performance and/or vitality, I encourage you to look into Functional Medicine.If you want to chat more about what I do and how my colleague @drnavazhabib and I can support you at our practice @healthupgraded, DM me.If this information helps just one person find answers and better health as it did for me years ago, I will be thrilled - June 22, 2020