Finally, a simple, moist, vegan banana bread recipe that’s clean and delicious! Being a vegan
recipe, it’s egg-free and dairy-free but also grain-free, soy-free and nut-free!
Buckwheat, which has no relation to actual wheat, is a not a grain but a fruit-seed. This makes it a great gluten-free option and that’s high in protein and fibre to boot! Buckwheat flour is more dense than wheat flour and has a delicious nutty flavour that works well in banana bread. Give it a shot the next time you have some really ripe bananas that need a home.
Vegan Buckwheat Banana Bread Recipe
Makes one 9x5in loaf
- 1 & 3/4 cups organic buckwheat flour
- 2 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Celtic or Himalayan Salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar, maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 4-5 large very ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or non-vegan version: grassfed butter or ghee, melted)
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- Optional extras: dairy-free chocolate chips, pecans, walnuts... yum
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5in. loaf pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add remaining wet ingredients and mix well to form batter.
- Transfer batter to lightly greased 9x5in. loaf pan and bake on middle rack for 50 minutes.
- Remove, let cool for about 10 minutes before enjoying!
Could I leave the sugar out and replace it with an extra banana?
This isn’t something I’ve tried personally but I think it’ll still work if you did that 🙂 worth a shot!
Let me know how it goes.
Wow didn’t know that about Buckwheat – this opens a whole load of possibilities. Thank you!