Here’s a fact about me… ready?
I only wash my hair a couple of times a week.
Personally, I find that it’s way more manageable when I don’t wash it every day, and from a time-management standpoint, long hair just takes too long to wash, dry and style daily.
So, dry shampoo is great. It can be really awesomely helpful when you’re nearing the “time to wash my hair” day, and especially if you want to live on the edge like me and push it to an extra day (or two… gross? naaahhhh). It also adds some extra body to fine hair like mine.
The bad news about most dry shampoo, like the aerosol stuff you buy at the drugstore, is that it is full of really nasty, toxic chemicals that I can’t actually pronounce but intuitively know are killing me slowly.
Solution? I make my own for CHEAP, with a few simple, EDIBLE ingredients that you likely already have lying around your kitchen. And it works WONDERS!
Check out my recipe below for a clean, DIY, dry shampoo that will leave your hair oil-free and smelling like delicious baked goods. Win-win, I’d say.
DIY All Natural Dry Shampoo:
- 1 mini mason jar OR 1 old powder container
- 1 old blush brush or kabuki brush for application
- For Blondes:
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (preferably organic)
- For Brunettes:
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot/cornstarch + 1 tablespoon cocoa/cacao powder
- Optional: 5 drops of essential oil of choice (I use vanilla– this stuff makes my head smell like cookies)*FYI I have just been using organic cornstarch + cacao powder, as I didn’t have any arrowroot powder when I decided to make this.
- Put the drops of essential oil into the arrowroot/cornstarch/cocoa and mix with a spoon. Store the mix in your small jar or old powder container.
- Use an old blush brush to apply the powder to the roots or any oily parts of your hair.
This stuff really works like a charm and smells amazing!
She is on a legit superhero mission to empower as many people as she can to practice preventive health care and TAKE BACK THEIR FOOD POWER via cooking, growing and preparing their own food. She is currently based in Toronto, Canada.
Latest posts by Laura Franklin, CNP (see all)
- IG: Sometimes you just gotta eat yo’ heart out ❤️❤️❤️I make the majority of my own meals but when I do go out for brunch every so often, you’ll likely see a BENNY on my plate 😍.This was my first time at @carorestaurant (been wanting to go for a while) and they nicely subbed the grilled focaccia in their Porchetta Benny for some polenta fries! And it was bomb 💣![see those rosemary Parmesan home fries up top? They’re as tasty as they look 🤤]What’s your go-to favorite meal when you decide to eat out? - December 13, 2018
- IG: Wednesday morning stretch sesh turns into Wednesday morning carpet cuddles - December 12, 2018
- IG: House officially warmed and Christmas celebrated, this 2-in-1 gathering was a success! ❤️I have the best friends in the world! Love y’all. - December 10, 2018