Here’s a fact about me… ready?
I only wash my hair a couple of times a week.
Personally, I find that it’s way more manageable when I don’t wash it every day, and from a time-management standpoint, long hair just takes too long to wash, dry and style daily.
So, dry shampoo is great. It can be really awesomely helpful when you’re nearing the “time to wash my hair” day, and especially if you want to live on the edge like me and push it to an extra day (or two… gross? naaahhhh). It also adds some extra body to fine hair like mine.
The bad news about most dry shampoo, like the aerosol stuff you buy at the drugstore, is that it is full of really nasty, toxic chemicals that I can’t actually pronounce but intuitively know are killing me slowly.
Solution? I make my own for CHEAP, with a few simple, EDIBLE ingredients that you likely already have lying around your kitchen. And it works WONDERS!
Check out my recipe below for a clean, DIY, dry shampoo that will leave your hair oil-free and smelling like delicious baked goods. Win-win, I’d say.
DIY All Natural Dry Shampoo:
- 1 mini mason jar OR 1 old powder container
- 1 old blush brush or kabuki brush for application
- For Blondes:
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (preferably organic)
- For Brunettes:
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot/cornstarch + 1 tablespoon cocoa/cacao powder
- Optional: 5 drops of essential oil of choice (I use vanilla– this stuff makes my head smell like cookies)*FYI I have just been using organic cornstarch + cacao powder, as I didn’t have any arrowroot powder when I decided to make this.
- Put the drops of essential oil into the arrowroot/cornstarch/cocoa and mix with a spoon. Store the mix in your small jar or old powder container.
- Use an old blush brush to apply the powder to the roots or any oily parts of your hair.
This stuff really works like a charm and smells amazing!
She is on a legit superhero mission to empower as many people as she can to practice preventive health care and TAKE BACK THEIR FOOD POWER via cooking, growing and preparing their own food. She is currently based in Toronto, Canada.
Latest posts by Laura Franklin, CNP (see all)
- IG: Homegrown snacks!! 😍These make me think of Skittles and/or Christmas ornaments 🤷🏻♀️.Either way, they make me sooooo happy.My medium to larger tomatoes did NOT do well this year slash have been eaten by squirrels (I don’t think I’ll get one beefsteak ☹️) so these little cherry gems are extra special 👌🏼What wins are you celebrating today??! - August 17, 2018
- IG: Couch cuddles on a Wednesday night with my favourite 7-year old 😻This guy isn’t a natural cuddler per se, but he likes to surprise me here and there with a snug, which makes it all the more special.After being an only child (CAT) for the last 7 years, how do you think he’s gonna react to a puppy friend in the coming months?? 😏🤫😁 - August 15, 2018
- IG: 🐸🐸🐸I came across this gorgeous little tree frog nestled in the zucchini leaves while doing monthly maintenance on my favourite organic edible garden today.What a beaut!Keep up the great work (bug munching🦗🐛) bud!And feel free to visit my garden ANY time for dinner. P.s. I’ve always loved frogs and toads. - August 15, 2018